September 03, 2014

reading list



I have always loved reading, but every once in a while I go through sprouts of time where I don't read at all. This isn't one of those times. Doesn't that place look just lovely! I can smell it from here! Ah, books! I wanted to share with you my reading list of books that I want to read, have read and loved, and the one I'm currently reading right now.

Currently: I'm reading Peter Pan. Like the old original. I must tell you, it is not what I expected. I like the book, but my idea of what the book was going to be like was tainted by the many different versions of the movie (which is the worst way to judge a book)! It has been a rather quick read, at first I was sure it would take me forever to get through because of the older language (it's not that old, but occasionally I do have to read a sentence over a few times because I didn't get it the first. I have found that I rather like the way they speak in the book. These children (Wendy, John, and Michael) and even the lost boys have a better vocabulary than I do! Yes, yes I know the lost boys didn't write the words - but for J.M. Barrie to write that these are lost boys, boys who don't want to grow up, and live in the wild underneath the ground, and he gave them a better vocabulary than my own! Well I say! And I may or may not read the book with an English accent. Now I want to go out and watch every version of the movie there is! Two of my favorites are Hook and Peter Pan.

Read & Loved: I recently finished reading the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. I think I wrote about these recently - but they are a series of novels written about a young woman named Stephanie Plum, who is a bail bonds agent living and working in the Trenton, NJ area. The books are full of action and comedy! You can't help but feel like you are friends with Stephanie!

The Divergent series. This was a really good series! If you haven't read it yet, I would highly suggest it! Veronica Roth (the author) was only 21 when she wrote the first book! That is crazy! I can not imagine writing a book when I was 21... not like I could really imagine writing one now though either. The books are a dystopian series where the population of the city is split into factions, Abnegation, Erudite, Amity, Candor, and Dauntless. The books are told from the point of view of 16 year old Beatrice (Tris) Prior, and follow along with her life after choosing her faction. Most often you hear people say that the book was better than the movie, and in my opinion, that is the case here, however I really enjoyed the movie! I think it was very well done and I am so excited for the next one to come out!

Want to Read: I haven't really ever read any classic books (except for Peter Pan I guess) so I have a short list of some classics that I want to read; Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice, Little Women, The Secret Garden, and some others on this list.
Non-classics that I want to read are; The Fault in our Stars, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, Redeeming Love, The Chronicles of Narnia.

Have you read any of those? Is there a book that should be on my 'to read' list?

2 comments:

  1. So I read the first Divergent book, bought the series, and then never got around to reading the other two. I'm a die-hard Hunger Games fan and I want to get around to reading them, but I just haven't. But I've been encouraged by your post to get back at it!

    As for books, I realllly want to finish Mindy's book (do you see a trend with starting but never finishing books? in my defense, this was a library checkout that was due before I could finish it!), and I also want to read Shauna Niequist's book, Bread & Wine. Have you read any of her books before?

    I'm always on the hunt for a good read and loved this post! I've never heard of the Stephanie Plum books but they sounds super intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! YES read them!! They are good!! I loved Hunger Games too! I can't wait for the last movie to come out!! The only reason I have been able to finish so many books recently is because I read at the gym... I always find something else to do at home instead of read... but the gym... I have nothing else to do! I have seen so many people talk about the book bread & wine and I thought it was just a cook book... I have never heard of the author though. Maybe I should check it out! Oh and YESS YES YES go read the stephanie plum novels! They are so good! I hate when a book ends because I want to see more of the character's stories, and the stephanie plum books keep going on! there is 21 of them out!! The first one was actually made into a movie... sadly not the best but still fun - One for the Money with Katherine Heigl. I enjoyed the movie, but I didn't quite agree with very many of the actors chosen to portray the characters...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...